Pro Tips for Preventing and Identifying Electrical Problems
Halloween is fast approaching, so it’s time to bust out the spooky holiday decorations and transform the home into a house of horrors guaranteed to delight and frighten even the most steely trick-or-treaters!
But with today’s extravagant holiday decor that involves plenty of lighting, fans, and motorized elements, homeowners must pay extra attention to electrical safety. After all, an electric shock or electrical fire can be a real-life nightmare. So this article will share a few tips to keep the home safe from common electrical hazards this Halloween – and beyond!
Take Care With Electric Halloween Decorations
Before hanging up any holiday lights or putting any electric-powered ghouls and goblins in the perfect spot in the yard, it’s a good idea to inspect them for damage. Damaged cords, exposed wiring, broken bulbs, and loose connections can pose a fire or electric shock risk. If these issues can’t be easily fixed (replacing a bulb or tightening a connection), the decorations should be thrown out and replaced.
Not damaging the wiring is essential when hanging holiday lighting or other electric Halloween decorations. This is why it’s best not to use staples, nails, or anything else that can pierce or cut the wire insulation. Instead, homeowners should use adhesive hooks, plastic clips, or tape to hang their holiday decor and manage cables.
Avoid Overloaded Circuits
One of the most common mistakes homeowners make during holiday light installation and decoration is plugging too many things into a single outlet or circuit. This can result in an overloaded circuit, essentially when more power is being drawn from a circuit than it was designed to handle. This can cause the overloaded electrical outlets, or the decorations plugged into them, to overheat – potentially destroying the decorations or even starting an electrical fire.
To avoid an overloaded outlet, homeowners can simply spread their decorations across multiple outlets, even if it requires a little more effort and using an extension cord or two. Of course, in most homes, multiple outlets can serve the same circuit, so knowing which outlets are on which circuits makes it easier to avoid overloading a single circuit with decorations. If in doubt, homeowners can have an electrician map the home’s circuit layout or hire a professional to handle their holiday lighting installation.
Beware of Signs that Electrical Repairs are Needed
As they prepare to deck out the house for Halloween, homeowners should be on the lookout for any signs of electrical problems that may already be lurking in the shadows. A few of the most common signs of electrical issues include:
- Dimming or flickering lights
- Power outlets not working properly
- Loose power outlets (plugs don’t sit snugly inside the outlet)
- Cracks, scorch marks, or other damage on outlets and light switches
- Buzzing or crackling noises coming from outlets or light switches
- Outlets or light switches are warm to the touch
- Frequent breaker trips or blown fuses
These signs may indicate loose or damaged wiring, faulty outlets or light switches, circuit overloads, short circuits, or grounding issues – all of which carry the risk of a fire or electric shock. If homeowners notice any of these warning signs, they would do well to call an electrician immediately to inspect the home and perform any necessary electrical repairs.
With all of the above pointers, homeowners can stay safe and enjoy greater peace of mind for the spooky season and year-round!
About All Services
The award-winning All Services has handled Crown Point’s electrical and HVAC needs since 2006. They offer competitive up-front pricing, same-day service, a money-saving membership program, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee on every job. Their technicians are all licensed, bonded, insured, background-checked, and drug-tested, so homeowners know they’re in good hands when they call All Services for electrical repair and holiday light installation in Crown Point, IN!